Tuesday, February 3, 2009

2 hours from everywhere

Have you seen Oh Brother, Where Art Thou? No? Boy, are you missing out. It's one of my favorite movies, so don't watch it with me. I know every line and I'm one of those people that will say the line before it's said in the movie. Annoying, I know. 

Well --

There's a line in the movie: "This place is a geographical oddity. Two weeks from everywhere!"

That is how I feel about where we are. Joe warned me on the drive to our home in Ashland that eastern Montana and Wyoming on Route 212 before we see the little town of Broadus makes you feel like you're traveling on Mars. There isn't anything but land with a few hills and miles upon miles of fence. 

But that's a drive I don't plan on making again until we decide to go see Mount Rushmore and Devils Tower. 

We may not be 2 weeks from everywhere, but we are 2 hours from any good shopping areas. Two hours. Did I tell you the speed limit is 70 during the day (75 on I-90)? Yeah, that's two hours going 70 MPH. We shop for groceries in two different towns: Sheridan, Wyoming and Billings, Montana. Sheridan is a pretty town sitting near the mountains. Lovely place. It has a Super Walmart and that's about it (well, aside from a huge western wear store and some other novelty shops). Then there's Billings. It's the shopping mecca for folks who live out where we do. It actually has stores other than a gigantic Walmart. Walmart scares me. Perhaps it's because I've been living in Chicago for so long (only a couple Walmarts on the edge of city limits) where everyone shops at Target. Target is different -- better. Walmart feels like walking I'm walking into the Twilight Zone. So, I'm a Target snob. Got a problem with that? Good. And it's pronounced "Tar-jay." Get it right.

Oh and I did map out the nearest Ikea. Ha! We have to drive 500 miles to Draper, Utah. 

Road trip! Joe, pack up the car, we're heading to Utah!

4 comments:

  1. It is my absolute favorite comedy, the funniest movie ever made.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just watched it again a few days ago. Laughed the whole time. Made my day...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha. I love that movie. Sorry to hear that you've found a real life geographical oddity though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ben -- It is what it is. A bit to get used to. Probably a good thing I don't need to use a particular hair gel.

    ReplyDelete